Friday, September 22, 2006

"The Notebook": a critical assessment

I resisted watching this movie for a long time, mainly because it was so popular. I normally loathe anything popular. I assumed it would be too cloying and sweet. But I finally rented it 8 weeks ago. It is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. From the opening credits with the gorgeous use of colour and the reflective feeling of serenity emanating from the sunlit sequence, I was hooked. Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams are divine, and their chemistry is so palpable on screen. It's no wonder they are now a couple.

Love like this is so rare, and although the director uses all the obvious components of a cliched romantic film, it is thoroughly captivating in its simplicity and its interpretation of a time long since passed. The film reminds me of my parents' enduring love for each other and thus was believable, something so many romantic movies are not. It certainly made me believe in miracles. Gena Rowlands and James Garner are convincing as older companions in the film, and it is both joyous and heartbreaking to experience the story as it unfolds. I'll say no more about the plot, but few films in my life have made such a deep impression on me. Everyone I've shown it to says the same. This is the way life should be: powerful, incredibly sweet and passionate. I now own the film and urge anyone who believes in the transformative power of love to watch it.

Stay tuned for more film reviews...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home