Monday, September 25, 2006

I Let The Music Speak: first impressions

Much to my delight (and my co-workers' dismay) I received the promotional only press pack for opera diva Anne Sofie von Otter's I Let the Music Speak this morning. The pack includes a copy of the CD and a DVD featuring footage of Ms. Von Otter recording the album, as well as a booklet with photographs. As many will be able to tell from the title, the cd is a tribute to the music of Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus. There are 6 ABBA songs, songs from Benny Anderssons Orkester and from the boys' musicals Chess (in collaboration with Tim Rice) and Kristina.

My first impression is that Von Otter is marvellous, but no Frida. She sounds as if she wants to break into her opera voice, but never quite gets there. However, she does interpret Frida's lead vocals more convincingly than she interprets Agnetha's. This is undoubtedly because both Anne Sophie and Frida are mezzo-sopranos. Nowhere is this more evident than on the title song, from ABBA's final studio album. Highlights also include the breathtaking "Heaven Help My Heart" (originally sung by Elaine Paige on the Chess soundtrack), the cabaret influenced "Money, Money, Money" and the haunting ballad, "I Walk With You Mama," a poignant piece about a woman reflecting on her relationship with her mother. This song was originally an instrumental called "Stockholm by Night" and is featured on one of Benny's solo albums. Bjorn has written new lyrics for the vocal version.

The album will be released in Canada in October. The track list of I Let the Music Speak is as follows:
  • The Day Before You Came
  • I Let The Music Speak
  • When all is said and done
  • I walk with you, Mama
  • The Winner takes it all
  • Butterfly Wings
  • Heaven help my Heart
  • Ljusa kvällar om varen
  • I am just a girl
  • Ut mot ett hav
  • After the rain
  • Money, Money, Money


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home