Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Transition: Beyond Dorothy Parker

At this point in my life, I am still in a time of transition, physically, emotionally and psychologically. There are many questions unanswered, and I find it enormously gratifying to use this time wisely, to help discover what else is out there that I may not have known or accepted before. As a practising Anglican for the past ten years, I have given myself room for growth and spiritual reflection. I now find myself reading a lot about other faiths and beliefs, some of which I am drawn to, and some I am not. It is all part of the motion of change, for everything has its season:

"Like the sunrise in the morning, life is dawning, move on,
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it,
With the urge to move on..." (Andersson/Anderson/Ulvaeus)

Some readers will already know that I am presently absorbed in the Book of Mormon, a "volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible." It is fascinating, and I was captivated by Prophet Joseph Smith's visions. I have also ordered a copy of Mormonism for Dummies and am looking forward to reading that. I'm not saying I'm joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints tomorrow (how would missionaries deal with the ABBA thing for starters?), but I am interested enough in their scriptures to want to know more about the faith and their teachings. In the meantime, I am merely broadening my horizons in order to find serenity and contentment in my daily life. It is wonderful to have this time for reflection and evaluation. The Universe is made up of so many zillions of things, and I am still searching to understand the purpose of my life.

For more on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, visit http://www.lds.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home