Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Too Close To The Sun...

Some of you have asked for a review of the David Usher concerts this past weekend. Up until now, the words just wouldn't come. To say that this was the second most thrilling experience of my life is a very bold statement I know, and yet I still feel this way. I have listened to David's albums for five years now since seeing him on Much Music for the first time. I suppose it's subjective, but I can't take my eyes off him when he's on stage. He's exquisite in so many ways: his poetic vision radiates, his intensity pulls an audience under his spell, and his vocals are dynamite. To say nothing of his "feline grace" which drives the majority of the crowd into paroxysms of pleasure. The dazzling strobe-light dance alone is simply beyond description.

It may be strange for someone as old as me to be so mad about him, but he got me through the last year with his music and his presence, and I don't think I can praise him enough for that. I tried on Friday night, but all I could get out when I met him after the show was "David, your music alone got me through this past year, thank you so much." I was front and centre for the first night. My brother and friends were also completely immersed in David's aura. Every single person in that club wanted a piece of him, wanted to drown in his beauty. I've never witnessed anything like it, and I've seen a hell of a lot of concerts. The girl next to me got to dance with him, and I was jealous as all hell, but we've become friends anyway. And when he waded into the crowd to sing with us, it was like the second coming, his glistening face shining before us. He clutched hands everywhere, we screamed with girlish delirium, and the sheer joy on his face when the devoted throng sang along gleefully to "Alone in the Universe" is something I cannot replicate in words. It was one of the most transcendent moments of my life.

He knows how to work an audience, certainly, but there is nothing contrived about his performance. He moves like a panther, his slim, ageless body pulsating to the grunge beat of old Moist songs, his long, dark hair falling enticingly about his face. When he sat down to sing at the front of the mini-stage, he was literally 2 inches from me, his dark chocolate eyes penetrating us all, his smile lighting up our hearts, making every single person in that club feel as if they were the only ones alone in the Universe with him. He held onto my hand briefly during that song (okay, I clung to his), and when he looked at me and sang "wake up I can almost see the light," I thought I would just melt into nothingness. It was an exhilarating and sensual experience to see him live, but I was literally out-of-body the entire time. That has never happened at a concert before. I guess what I finally got to experience was the "David love" I've heard so much about from other fans. The crucial thing about his concerts is this: the spotlight may be on David, but he brings everybody into that spotlight, and makes you feel as beautiful and exceptional as he himself is.

I'm not ashamed to admit I had tears in my eyes during Saturday night's rendition of the achingly gorgeous "St. Lawrence River," but it was elation, not sadness. I was transported to another place, unaware of my surroundings, only knowing that this beautiful creature was singing so passionately right in front of me, singing lyrics which have touched me deeply, and that people around me really understood what I had felt for years. Why could he not just keep singing all night long? Why did it have to end? I was utterly enraptured, and literally "slipping through the endless stream of time." For an hour and a half on two consecutive nights in Vancouver, he made some of our dreams come true. David, we love you man. Come back soon.

1 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knew that a spiritual experience could include melting into nothing, paroxysms of pleasure, feline grace, a dazzling strobe-light dance, drowning in his beauty, and best of all.... moving like a panther. Beautiful gorgeous.

Nothing will get in the way of me screaming with girlish delirium at the possible August Kelowna make-up concert for the April illness cancellation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home