Monday, October 30, 2006

Blinded by Venetian Love

Spent Saturday evening with close friends watching the film Casanova. Normally, I am repulsed by anything farcical, but shock horror: lurking beneath a veil of silliness and romantic misconceptions lies a beautiful love story not unlike Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Who knew?

The auburn-haired Sienna Miller is breathtakingly gorgeous, Heath Ledger is dashing and mesmerising, the costumes shimmer throughout, and the city of Venice comes to 18th century life in glorious colour. Director Lasse Hallström (who, incidentally, directed ABBA-The Movie) creates an intensely romantic comedy celebrating the passionate life of a legendary lover. One of the loveliest movies I have seen in a long while.
I guess I know what I want for Xmas now. Well, besides that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home