Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Definitive Moment in Film - Entry 1

In an attempt to determine the most transcendently beautiful "moment" in film history, there will be a weekly contribution from selected movies. Whether these films portray love between men, women, orang-utans or goats, they have one thing in common: they all move me to tears. Today's contender, a film described by the Los Angeles Times as "at once romantic, earthy and socially critical," is Latter Days:

Christian: But what if you're not? Huh? What if everything in my entire pathetic life, which I happen to love, has led me to this point? Right here, right now. What if you're the blinding light in the middle of the road that strikes me...like that guy, the guy in...
Elder Aaron Davis: The Bible?
Christian: Yeah.
Elder Aaron Davis: Paul?
Christian: Yeah. And what if everything has changed like that... and lions lay down with lambs and colours mix with whites. What if you're the one that I've been waiting for my whole life and I let you go?
Elder Aaron Davis: You have no idea what I'd be giving up.
Christian: Damn it! What is wrong with you? You want revelations engraved in gold and angels trumpeting down from heaven. But what if this is it instead? Me, telling you I love you, right here, in the snow? I think that is pretty miraculous. But if you don't... I'll go. I'll walk and you can pretend that this was just some coincidence. You can pretend there wasn't some reason that we met, and that you're sorry I ever walked into your life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home