Thursday, June 28, 2007

THESE ARE THE SONGS OF MY LIFE!

No. 4 - HAPPY HEART by Petula Clark

The second happiest song of all-time, sung by the immortal Pet, as we call her "back home." This song meant nothing to me until 2001 when I discovered Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss. It's not a particularly memorable movie: a sweet young man pines ardently for the affections of someone too shallow and too beautiful to live who eventually breaks his heart - can't imagine why anyone would want to endure such a thing. But the song reached out like a demon and got a grip on me. I still can't say I'm a fan of her work, but this song made me believe in miracles. I've got the modern remix as well, but I have to say the original, from the 1968 album Portrait of Petula, is perfection itself. Here is an unabashedly romantic tale of unadulterated joy in which the singer rhapsodizes about having found the one who makes her heart happy. Isn't that what we all want? Maybe it's not an original concept, but the elation exuded by Pet, as she crashes into the giddiness of the chorus, makes me feel as if I could float to the highest reaches of empyrean light. (I can hear all you cynics scoffing - shame on you.) The piercing vocals, the jubilation of this union, the romantic and yet unusual lyrics - all of it comes together to create an exceptional song that I will love until my dying day:

Feeling more and more like I've never felt before
You have changed my life so completely
Music fills my soul now, I've lost all control now
I'm not half, I'm whole now with your love


It's my happy heart you hear
Singing loud and singing clear
And it's all because you're near me, my love
Take my happy heart away

Make me love you, make my day
In your arms I want to stay, oh my love...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home