Thursday, June 14, 2007

THESE ARE THE SONGS OF MY LIFE!

No. 9 - IF YOU'RE RIGHT by Barbara Dickson

Of course, there has to be a genuine Scots lass on the list. Folk singer turned actress Barbara Dickson (Blood Brothers, Evita, Chess) is a household name in the UK. Her 1985 single "I Know Him So Well", a duet with Elaine Paige, stayed at the top of the British charts for a month. Babs' 1986 album Gold closed with the melancholic "If You're Right." First time I heard it, my best friend David & I were deep in the wilderness of some camping ground I've now forgotten. To the annoyance of other Led Zeppelin-crazed campers, we played this gorgeous ballad on repeat for hours. Neither of us had heard it before, and we were entranced. I guess it's always going to be "our song." Anyway, it was released as a single in the UK, and without a doubt remains one of the most heartbreaking ballads ever. I have found solace in these lyrics and that voice for years:

My eyes are close to tears
I can't believe I hear the words you say, oh no
You tell me there's no point
To make it work when we've lost yesterday, oh no
And if you're right
Then love's a game for children
Just a game of seaside touch and run
And if you're right
Then Shakespeare wrote a long lost play
Called 'Romeo and something or someone'...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home