Friday, June 08, 2007

THESE ARE THE SONGS OF MY LIFE!

No. 10 - TOO MUCH LOVE WILL KILL YOU by QUEEN.

I always thought that the deceptively simple "Radio Ga Ga" would have topped my list of Queen songs, but it doesn't anymore. "Too Much Love" came into my life the year after Freddie died: 1992. It was sung by Brian May at Freddie's tribute concert at Wembley, and brought the 72,000 strong audience to tears. My mum and I immediately recognised its genius, and had memorised the words within days. But it wasn't until Queen's posthumous Made In Heaven LP came out in the mid-90s, and I heard the unreleased version with Freddie on lead vocals that it became a personal anthem. Haunted by the fact it was one of his last ever recordings, the song took on more meaning; even more so in years to come. But the brilliance of the song lies in its simple message: whether we run from love or swallow it whole, we can never escape its power:

How would it be if you were standing in my shoes?
Can't you see that it's impossible to choose?
No there's no making sense of it
Every way I go I'm bound to lose
Too much love will kill you
Just as sure as none at all
It'll drain the power that's in you
Make you plead and scream and crawl
And the pain will make you crazy
You're the victim of your crime...

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear Queen of Innuendo
I'm already weepy, and you haven't even picked the Dix Chix yet.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will the Dixies figure in this Top 10 of all-time? Seems unlikely, given that the Regular Blogger's not yet really familiarised himself with their music, but I am starting to like them too. My husband is a big fan.

Mrs Usher II.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home